Shippensburg University

Search
Search
News
Multimedia
Sports
Ship Life
Opinion
Subscribe
Entertainment
Send a Tip
Podcasts
Donate

Shippensburg University

°
Full Forecast

Saturday, November 29, 2025

The Slate

Subscribe

Print Edition

  • News
  • Opinion
  • Ship Life
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Multimedia
  • Send a Tip
  • News
  • Sports
  • Opinion
  • Entertainment
  • Ship Life
  • Multimedia
  • Podcasts
  • Special Issues
  • Send a Tip
  • Donate
Search

Subscribe

 

3/16/2020, 5:09pm

BREAKING: Gov. Tom Wolf urges Pennsylvania businesses to shut down to halt coronavirus spread

By Hannah Pollock
BREAKING: Gov. Tom Wolf urges Pennsylvania businesses to shut down to halt coronavirus spread

Share

  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Mail
  • Print

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf has ordered Pennsylvania bars and restaurants to shut down dine-in services for two weeks to slow the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).

He also urged nonessential businesses to do the same, according to a press release posted on the governor's website. 

"Effective at midnight, all nonessential stores are to close in Pennsylvania as well as bars and restaurants except for takeout," Wolf said during a press conference Monday afternoon.

The closures will begin at midnight on Monday and will last at least two weeks, according to Wolf. 

However, businesses may continue to serve the public through carry-out, delivery and drive-thru services according to a Governor’s office press release.

The governor's office defines nonessential businesses as those delivering entertainment, hospitality and recreation. Pennsylvanians will still have access to grocery stores, gas stations and medical facilities, as well as other essential services which remain unaffected by the recommendation. However, Wolf strongly recommends nonessential businesses do the same. 

"The Wolf Administration is relying on businesses to act now before the governor or the Secretary of Health finds it necessary to compel closures under the law for the interest of public health, including section 7301 of the Emergency Management Services Code," this press release said Monday afternoon. 

According to the Pennsylvania Department of Health, there are 76 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the state as of Monday at 12:15 p.m. There are five in Cumberland County, while Montgomery County leads the Commonwealth with 30 confirmed cases of the virus.

In a separate announcement, Pennsylvania Turnpike officials said toll plazas will not accept cash or credit payments from travelers. The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission will collect tolls by E-ZPass or mailed invoices beginning 8 p.m. Monday night. 

Editor's note: This story's headline and content have been modified to better reflect Gov. Wolf's actions. Previously, the story read that Wolf ordered all nonessential businesses to shut down. 

Share



Related Stories

Scopes Monkey Trial gallery

The Scopes Monkey Trial 100 years later

By Matthew Scalia

Big Red’s Cupboard is located on the second floor of the CUB in room 218.

Resources for students

By Megan Sawka

Wood Honors College director Kim Klein discusses the “Partners in Peace” program. They plan to visit key Nobel institutions in Oslo, Norway, in 2026.

‘Partners in Peace’ program revealed at Nov. 14 Council of Trustees meeting

By George Hogan


The Slate welcomes thoughtful discussion on all of our stories, but please keep comments civil and on-topic. Read our full guidelines here.


Most Popular


11/4/2025, 4:10pm

Meet the Feminists of Shippensburg

By Jordan Neperud / Ship Life Editor

11/4/2025, 11:04am

The Carnival of Consent: a fun way to teach Sex Ed


11/18/2025, 4:14pm

‘Partners in Peace’ program revealed at Nov. 14 Council of Trustees meeting


11/18/2025, 8:00am

Football head coach Mark Maciejewski retires after 32 years at SU



  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
  • Work For Us
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Ship Life
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

All Rights Reserved

© Copyright 2025 The Slate

Powered by Solutions by The State News.