Naugle Hall was evacuated late Thursday night after carbon monoxide was detected within the building.
Just before 11:45 p.m., alarms throughout the building went off and students filed outside into the East Side quad. Naugle Resident Assistants and the Residence Directors on call advised all students to move to the recreation room in McLean Hall.
Roughly 200 students entered McLean while some went to Seavers Hall or other residence halls to stay in friends’ rooms.
Multiple university and local emergency vehicles were at the scene, and firefighters began a sweep of Naugle Hall around midnight. Carbon monoxide was detected in the boiler room, according to first responders.
Medical staff inside McLean Hall screened any students who reported symptoms of illness that could indicate carbon monoxide poisoning. About a dozen individuals were monitored, but no one was taken to the hospital.
As firefighters swept the building, each room was unlocked and inspected, and no carbon monoxide was detected in students’ personal spaces, according to first responders. Residence Life employees relocked each room after it was cleared.
Vice President of Student Affairs Lorie Sheetz and Associate Director of Housing Operations Jeff Ward gave the all-clear for reentry to Naugle Hall at about 1:35 a.m. on Friday.
SU News sent an email at 1:38 a.m. informing residents of Naugle Hall that they could return to their rooms.