Feeling creative, but don’t have the full-blown studio? Why not try making a pinch pot?
A pinch pot is easy to create at home while social-distancing. It is a handmade piece of pottery that focuses on using the pinching method to create a bowl. This is a craft for all ages which produces unique handmade bowls.
- 1 package of clay
- 1 cup of water
- Take a piece of clay the size of your palm and roll it into a ball.
- Hold the ball in your non-dominant hand and push your thumb into the clay so there is a hole. The bottom should be about one-quarter of an inch thick to avoid tearing the pinch pot.
- Keeping your thumb in the hole, move your dominant hand’s index finger to the bottom of the bowl and pinch the clay between your fingers.
- Rotate the bowl in your non-dominant hand and pinch the clay again between your thumb and index finger.
- Repeat step 4 as you rotate the bowl and slowly move up the clay toward the rim. Be sure to go from the bottom to the top, and do your best to keep the same thickness throughout.
- When the bowl is completely pinched, smooth out any cracks. To do this, rub your finger across the crack and spread the clay over the area. Use water for more difficult cracks, especially around the rim.
- For air dry or oven bake clay, follow package instructions to cure your project.