Power Rankings for Week of Feb. 21
1. New York Rangers: Between the Rangers, and “Lin-sanity” there’s something magical in the air right now at Madison Square Garden.
2. Detroit Red Wings: If you have to import your team to Detroit, do not expect to win. The Wings have won 23 straight at home, even without Jimmy Howard in net.
3.Vancouver Canucks: With two Sedins healthy again, and scoring as usual and Roberto Luongo keeping the net empty behind them, the Canucks are by far the best team on the other side of the Peace Bridge.
4. St. Louis Blues: Solid defense and the league’s best goals against average, if the Blues can produce on offense consistently, look for them to make a run at Detroit.
5. Boston Bruins: If plan A fails, there is always plan B in Boston. Right now, this means play well, and win games. At the moment they are sliding, and just cannot seem to catch the Rangers.
6. Nashville Predators: Over the course of the season the guys from “Music City” have been dancing up and down the rankings. Good team, great goalie and fans.
7. San Jose Sharks: They call home the “Shark Tank” and that is just awesome, solid team that is great on the power play. It is good to be at the top of the division as the big fish, at least for the moment.
8. Philadelphia Flyers: With the void the defenseman Chris Pronger left in the Flyers corps, filled by a recent trade with Tampa Bay for Pavel Kubina, the high scoring Flyers will be set once they figure out the goalie situation.
9. New Jersey Devils: Kelly Clarkson, the first American Idol winner. David Clarkson, not an Idol, but doing his best to help the Devils win, they currently sit in fourth in the Eastern Conference.
10. Florida Panthers: Of the two teams in the state of Florida, the one without Steve Stamkos’ league best 40 goals is not making it easy on the Capitals in the Southeast.