Financial Aid FAQs: 2013-2014 FAFSA

This is part of a series of information from the Financial Aid Office. Although this is an FA column, any and all billing, payment and refund of fees questions should be directed to the Student Accounts Office located in Old Main Room 100 or by calling 717-477-1211.

When do students need to file for Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2013-2014 school year?

May 1.

May 1 is quickly approaching. If you have not done so already, please be sure to file your 2013-2014 FAFSA no later than May 1 for Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) State Grant consideration.

Even if you file at 12:01 a.m. on May 2, you will not qualify. Please file today. If you would like assistance, please contact our office to make an appointment.

Holds on student accounts

What does a student need to do if there is a hold on his or her account? What does a hold mean?

Each office has its own holds that it may place on students’ records. Examples of holds could be for missing paperwork, parking fines or a balance still needing to be paid on your bill (among other things).

If you have a financial hold on your account, this was placed by Student Accounts, not the Financial Aid office.

However, if you have questions about your hold you may contact the Student Accounts office and may be directed to our office for potential funding.

Having a hold on your account will prohibit you from scheduling classes. Please be diligent and check your status on the MyShip portal now to see if you do have a hold and get it taken care of right away through the office that placed the particular hold.

Satisfactory academic progress

Please be sure you are doing everything possible to pass your spring classes.

Remember: In order to remain in compliance for financial aid, an undergraduate student must successfully pass 67 percent of his or her attempted credits and maintain a 2.0 GPA (1.7 as a freshman).

Graduate students must complete 67 percent and maintain a 3.0 GPA. Failure to meet these qualifications could result in a loss of your financial aid funding for the upcoming year.
If you find yourself deficient, you may make up credits over summer but you may not qualify for aid to take those classes. If you have questions about your status, please contact our office.

Comments powered by Disqus

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Slate.