Financial Aid frequently asked questions

This is part of a series of information from the Financial Aid Office. Although this is an FA column, any and all billing, payment and refund of fees questions should be directed to the Student Accounts Office located in Old Main Room 100 or by calling 717-477-1211.

If your 2013–2014 FAFSA is selected for verification this year, it may not be the same information as we had requested in prior years.

There are new verification selections this year. If your record is selected, we will place your specific requirements on your MyShip portal as we have done in the past.

We could ask for normal verification documents — verification form, tax transcripts, etc. Or we may ask for proof of food stamp receipt or child support paid.

Each student, if selected, will have his or her own criteria required to complete the process.
Tax transcript — If selected for income verification, we will require the tax information to come directly from the IRS. This can be retrieved in one of two ways.

The first option is to “link” your (and your parent’s) IRS tax data directly from the IRS system into the proper fields on the FAFSA.

There is a YouTube tutorial that will show you how this is done. This video can be found here:

The second option is to contact the IRS to request a “tax return transcript.” You may order this by calling 1-800-829-1040 or online via

This “tax return transcript” is a line by line report of your (and/or your parents) taxes that were filed with the IRS.

If you (or a parent) need to file an amendment, please contact the office for further guidance on what to send. If you (or your parent) worked but did not file taxes, you (or your parent) will still be required to submit a copy of your W-2 forms.

Please note: we cannot accept copies of your (or your parent’s) 1040 form — the information must come directly from the IRS via one of two methods listed above.

Statement of identity/education purpose: This is a new verification form this year.

If you are selected for this verification process, this form will be located on your MyShip portal.
You will print the form and bring it to our office on campus with a valid government issued ID (driver’s license, state ID card, passport, etc.) and complete it in our presence for us to verify that you completed the form.

This is a free service. However, if you are unable to come to the campus to complete this form with your ID, you will be required to complete this form in the presence of a notary public, who may charge you a fee.

To locate a notary public in your area, you may search for one at
Please note: You only need to go to a notary if there is no way you can come to our office on campus — please do not pay for a service that we can offer for free.

We have information regarding verification on our website.

Please feel free to contact the office should you have any questions regarding the verification documentation.

Comments powered by Disqus

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Slate.