Thought Lot hopes to bring new faces


demon_beat_by_chris_moore

On Thursday, Feb. 28, five bands will be performing at Shippensburg’s music and art venue The Thought Lot.

The lineup features local bands The Demon Beat, Tuck Son, Black Black Beast and Bishops, as well as Indiana-natives Sleeping Bag.

“I’m stoked to see and hang out with some of my favorite musicians, but I’m more excited for the people who haven’t seen or heard them,” said Sean Hallock, also known by his musical persona Bratcore.

Hallock organized the show and booked bands he thinks will make an impact on the Shippensburg music scene in hopes of drawing in new faces to The Thought Lot.

Hailing from Bloomington, In., Sleeping Bag’s sound is described as “poppy garage-rock.” The band is part of Joyful Noise Recordings, the same indie rock powerhouse responsible for releasing the music of Dinosaur Jr. and Of Montreal.

The unique sound is second to the unique dynamic of the band. The drummer Dave Segedy doubles as the band’s singer and primary songwriter.

West Virginia’s veteran indie-rocker Tucker Riggleman will be playing double duty at Thursday’s show. Riggleman is The Demon Beat’s bassist and also provides vocals and guitar for Bishops, his newest side project.

demon_beat_by_louis_lucci
Photo by Louis Lucci / The Slate

West Virginia-based rockers The Demon Beat.

The Demon Beat members describe themselves as “three West Virginia boys, well-versed in everything from the Rolling Stones to Mudhoney, Percy Sledge to MC5.” The Demon Beat is currently on tour with Sleeping Bag.

Thought Lot regular Black Black Beast and Gettysburg-based Tuck Son complete the lineup. Black Black Beast’s “experimental-wave-mythology-NES-bicycle-beer-cow farm-post-rock” sound will be complemented nicely by Tuck Son’s acoustic folk rock.

Thursday’s show is the tip of the iceberg for The Thought Lot. Hallock is bringing more West Virginia favorites, as well as Brooklyn-based Fletcher C. Johnson to The Thought Lot on March 3.

“[The audience has] two opportunities to see up to 10 world-class bands around one weekend. I hope that is enough to attract some new faces. It’s those faces that I am most excited to see,” Hallock said.

Both shows have a $5 minimum cover charge, 70 percent of which goes to the bands. The other 30 percent goes to The Thought Lot. For more information, visit thethoughtlot.com


Comments powered by Disqus

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Slate.